The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) of the University of Peloponnese belongs to the School of Engineering based in Patras and was founded in May 2019.
The Department’s mission is high level education and cultivation of research skills for the students, with the aim of creating high level scientists in the science of Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. In order to achieve its mssion, the Department offers three (3) levels of studies:
- Undergraduate studies, lasting ten (10) academic semesters
- Postgraduate studies, lasting three (3) academic semesters
- Doctoral studies
- Energy Systems
- Signals, Telecommunications and Networks
- Electronics, Computers and Systems
- Electricity Systems, with emphasis on the study and analysis of electrical networks in the permanent and transitional state, in the design and study of low, medium and high voltage electrical installations as well as in the production of electricity.
- Electromechanical Energy Conversion, with emphasis on the study of the operation of electric motors in the permanent and transitional state as well as in the design and implementation of electronic power devices.
- Signal Processing, Computer and Communication Networks, with emphasis on the design, implementation and support of fixed and wireless networks with the aim of successfully developing, supporting and operating modern information environments (infrastructure, communication services, content applications, value-added services).
- Hardware and Computer Systems, with emphasis on the design, development and maintenance of computer systems, peripherals, embedded systems, complex sensor systems as well as the design and programming of integrated circuits.
- Computer Science, with emphasis on theoretical and algorithmic principles of computation, programming and information management.
- Software Technologies, with emphasis on analysis, design and implementation of software systems.
- Information Systems, with emphasis on requirements analysis, as well as the design and implementation of systems, with the aim of supporting information management and management processes at all levels of an organization / business.
Presentation video of the ECE Department
The Department grants Integrated Master (decision 78075 /Ζ1/30.06.2021 of the Deputy Minister of Education). This means that the successful completion of the first level of studies organized at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the University of Peloponnese, leads to the award of Integrated Master in the specialty of the Department, at Level 7 of National and European Qualifications Framework.
In the second cycle of studies the Department offers the Postgraduate Program entitled “Technologies and Services of Intelligent Information and Communication Systems”. The purpose of the MSc is to develop technologies, models and methods for the efficient management and processing of large volumes of data, the cultivation of digital skills, the export of knowledge and the assistance of decision-making in critical areas, especially in modern cyber systems, education and companies / organizations. Emphasis is also placed on cultivating cross-cutting skills related to entrepreneurship and open innovation.
In the third cycle of studies, the Department offers a Doctoral Studies program, in areas that fall within the research and scientific fields treated by the Department, according to the perception of interdisciplinarity that governs modern research activity. More than forty (40) PhD students participate in the Phd program.
The Department applies the postdoctoral research framework of the University of Peloponnese and employs postdoctoral researchers (post doc) researchers.
Research and Innovation
The Department is active in research and innovation and actively participates in collaborations at national level (national projects of the General Secretariat for Research, the Hellenic Research & Innovation Foundation and the private sector) and internationally (Horizon 2020, Erasmus Plus, etc) in subjects that relate to digital transformation, modern cyber systems and services, large data processing, cloud computing infrastructure, next generation networks, machine learning, distributed systems, microelectronics, etc. The department has nine (9) research laboratories.
European and International Perspective
The Department makes a special effort to guarantee the European / international scientific and / or professional perspective of the graduates, through the adoption of ECTS, the participation in ERASMUS + exchanges, the participation in academic and research exchanges through bilateral agreements with countries that excel in engineering. Encourages students and teachers to actively participate in ERASMUS Plus exchanges, in the context of learning and training agreements.
The Department has thirty two (32) members of Teaching and Research Staff, one (1) Emeritus Professor, and six (6) members of Special Technical Laboratory Staff , as permanent teaching and laboratory staff. It also employs on a temporary contract five (5) teachers with doctoral degrees and fifteen (15) scholarships for remedial teaching. The secretariat is fully staffed with four (4) employees. Total staff: 63 people.
The Department is hosted on a large campus and has sufficient space and facilities. Its laboratory equipment is regularly updated, creating a modern educational and academic environment. The Department also has :
- Lending library.
- Workshops for the practical education of students.
- Wireless access to all areas of the Department.