Since the academic year 2019-2020, the State Scholarship Foundation (IKY) has granted an annual “Award of Excellence” to the best graduates of the Departments of the Universities of Greece (Government Gazette 5716 / 24.12.2020, vol. B).
The conditions and the procedure of offering the annual “Awards of Excellence” by I.K.Y., in order to reward graduates with high academic scores during their studies, are defined as follows:
- The award consists of: (a) an honorary diploma on a papyrus, which is signed by the Minister of Education and Religious Affairs and the Chairman of the Board of Directors of I.K.Y. and bears the stamp of both and (b) in the amount of one thousand euros (1,000 €), which is paid in a lump sum by the I.K.Y.
- The prize is awarded to the graduate with the highest scores of each Department of Higher Education, among those who were eligible for the award of the semester degree.
- After receiving a document from I.K.Y. and on a date set by it, the Presidents of the Departments of the Faculties of the Institutions or the Secretariat of the Rectorate of each Institution send the required supporting documents as defined in the Government Gazette 5716 / 24.12.2020, vol.B
At the same time, the ECE Department itself also rewards students’ academic excellence through the annual award of the best students of each year of studies. More specifically, during the welcome event of the first-year students of the ECE Department, the following are awarded:
- The best students of each year (one per year), who successfully completed all the courses of their year (up to September exam) scoring the highest average grade
- The Thesis which were rated “Excellent” and have led to the publication of their results in a research conference
- The student teams of the Department, which were distinguished in national/European and international competitions.
During the ceremony, the awarded students are given:
- A certificate of excellence
- The opportunity to participate (out of competition) in the Cisco Networking Academy, which offers the CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) program to twenty students of the ECE Department each year for free.
The graduates of the Department play a vital role in the Department’s connection with society and the labor market.
The ECE Department also rewards the teaching staff of the Department for their Academic Excellence in Teaching (including the faculty members and the temporary teaching staff) with an annual award. More specifically, during the welcoming event of the first-year students of the ECE Department, those members of the teaching staff of the department who were proposed by the students are awarded as excellent teachers.
The concept of excellent teaching does not refer only to the ability to teach clearly, comprehensibly and in an interesting way during the lectures. It includes all those activities that open scientific paths to the students, inspire and guide them.
The rating is based on the assessments made by the students at the end of each semester using a special questionnaire based on the courses they had registered for and they attended.